Hello people of the world,
Welcome to my blog! My name is Maybelle Alvarez, but you can call me May. I am from the United States and I will be an exchange student in Switzerland for a whole year. Follow my journey through reading my posts. I will post every Monday, so be sure to check back to see what I'm up to.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Day 39

Hello People of the World,

Happy May Monday! Today I was sitting during my free period thinking what I needed to put in my blog.  Then I started to think of the title of this site. I don't really know why I called it "A Day with May" if I usually talk about my whole week rather than just one day. If it was just one day, it's probably be really boring and short. I think when I started this I was more focused on sharing my story, and could really care less about the title. I just liked it because it rhymed. Anyway I just wanted to address that; I'm going to stop worrying about the name of the site now. Let's talk about what I've been up to.


The Search for Guitar Strings:

So recently my family lent me a classic guitar of a friend since I was sad that I had to leave my guitar back in California in order to give me more space for luggage. The guitar is in good shape, but it just needed some new strings. I remembered about a guitar shop I saw during my first days here. So one day after school I went with a friend to go find the store. We looked around for almost two hours, but never found it. It's okay though because we weren't really looking that hard. We would get distracted by all the cute little shops that we saw.
I really liked this weird looking foutain
Pretty houses with the church in the background

LOOK AT HOW BEAUTIFUL THIS CHURCH WAS

Last Day of Language School:

So last Wednesday was the last day of Language School.*tear tear* It was a really great day though. First in the morning session, we had to take a test in the morning which was sort of a drag. Then we still had like two hours to kill before the morning session was over. So we played games like: Pictionary, Concentration, and Charades. The teacher made us play the games in German since we were technically still in language school. At the beginning of the year our teacher promised us a "party" on the last day of school. His definition of party was to make Swiss cuisine together. Our language school happened to be taught at the same place they teach people how to cook, so we had access to a kitchen. We made a dish that is very popular here called Birchermüesli. It is like a yogurt mixed with milk and oatmeal and a variety of fruit. We also attempted to make Raclette which is a Swiss dish where you melt cheese and pour it over cooked potatoes. The only thing was I think our teacher forgot the thing that would melt the cheese, so instead we just ate potatoes with slices of cheese. After our meal, we took group photos, and we received our "diplomas". Basically they just said that we passed the class along with the result of our final test score. 
Swiss Cheese(left) and Birchermüesli(right)


It's a struggle to get everyone to look at the camera 
My class and I with our diplomas


Yay everyone is looking at the camera
So during dinner, a friend of mine suggested we go to Zürich when the class ended. I didn't really have any plans for the day, so I agreed. Zürich is such a beautiful city. I absolutely love it. We only stayed for a short time because the class ended later than it usually did because of all the goodbyes that needed to be said. I also had to be home by seven for dinner so we stayed in Zürich for about two hours. We almost missed our train that would get us home in time since we got so distracted by the beauty of Zürich, but after running in the train station we made it. Honestly making a train or bus you thought you were going to miss is the best feeling of accomplishment.
A statue in a park in Zürich



The Zürich train station





















The Eschenberg Tower:

On Saturday I went out with my family to go see the Eschenberg tower that was in the woods of Winterthur. The German word for woods is Wald which sounds a lot like the German word for whale which is Wal. So when my family suggested we go to the woods, I thought they were suggesting to go to the whale. I was very confused since we were in Switzerland and there's no ocean, so no whales I didn't really mention this was why I was confused. They just saw by the look on my face I was confused.They then explained that were were going to the woods to go see the watch tower and have a little bonfire. The walk into the woods was hard because it was all uphill. Coming from the valley of California, I'm really not used to walking up and down hills all the time. Eventually we made it to the watch tower. It was really tall. I believe it was 30 meters which would be about 98 feet. In order to reach the top you would have to walk up 162 stairs(I counted). The view was amazing as you could imagine. It gave an overview of the city of Winterthur.
THE AMAZING VIEW TOTALLY WORTH THOSE 162 STAIRS

bad panorama of the view ft. my sister

The view down (honestly was so scared of dropping my phone)

The view from the bottom

Metal Swiss Flag

'Look, Simba. Everything the light touches is our kingdom. 
My sister and I at the top of the tower

The bonfire was really fun. I learned how to make an actual fire like how you would learn in like Boy Scouts. We roasted a type of Swiss sausage known as "Cervelat". It's honestly like the best thing ever. It was also my first time roasting sausages over a fire. We also roasted bread over fire which I didn;t really think was a thing until I saw it with my own eyes.
The Fire 
Cervelat
Me being very confused after being told you can roast bread
Roasting bread on the fire

 Upcoming Events:

This week is my first full week at the "Kantonsschule" which is basically normal school. Everything is taught in German besides English and Spanish. If you're wondering what classes I'm taking, I'm taking  are:German, English, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry, Physics,  Geography, History,Math P.E., and Art. My favourite subject right now is math because no matter where you go in the world, numbers never change. Of course, English is a close second.

I don't think I have big plans for the weekend, yet. I believe on Sunday I will be going with my brother to a horse jumping competition which should be fun. Next week I will be going with my class for a study week where we will be studying German and English literature, so that should be fun as well. Then after that is a two week vacation. The first week I will probably hang out with some friends. The second week I know that I will be joining my family on a trip by buggy through some parts of Switzerland which I'm looking forward too.

Well I better get going to bed now. Hope you all have a great Monday and enjoy the rest of your week.

Until next time,

Tschüss
-May 

No comments:

Post a Comment