Hello people of the world,
Welcome to my blog! My name is Maybelle Alvarez, but you can call me May. I am from the United States and I will be an exchange student in Switzerland for a whole year. Follow my journey through reading my posts. I will post every Monday, so be sure to check back to see what I'm up to.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

8 Days Until Switzerland

Hello People of The World,



Happy May.... wait it's not Monday.  I wish I could be slick and play off that it's Monday somewhere in the world, but sadly I live on one of the 2nd to last timezone so the latest time it is in the world is Tuesday 6:34 pm in Honolulu. I was thinking about waiting until next week to post and just make it a long post, but I have to fly to New York on Sunday and get there Monday morning to go to orientation.Then Tuesday I fly to Switzerland, and I arrive on Wednesday. It's probably going to be a very busy week next week, so I'll try to post when I can. Anyway let's move on to what's happened in the last week.

Tuesday-Thursday

To be honest I really can't completely remember exactly what I did these days. I remember dog/house sitting for my aunt a couple days.  I watched a lot of Netflix and Youtube videos. I gathered everything I was going to take to Switzerland and tried to fit it all in one suitcase. Nothing really too exciting.

Friday:

This day I went out to Monterey. For those of you that don't know, Monterey is a very pretty city on the coast of California. My mom was getting her hair done, so I took my little sister to go explore. We went to this mirror maze which was very fun. It killed time pretty well because it's very easy to get lost in there. We eventually made it out then went mini golfing. My little sister is only four so she wasn't the best at it. She would get frustrated when she didn't get a hole in one (which was like every time), so she would place the ball right in front of the hole. Then we went back to the mirror maze, The first time we went through the mirror maze my sister was very unsure of it which resulted in her clinging to me the whole time. When we came back my sister was a lot more confident. She wanted to lead the way. I could see the exit through a mirror. My sister saw the exit too and started running to it. By the time she realized it was a reflection in a mirror, it was too late. She was on the floor crying because she ran face first into a mirror. 
Exclusive footage of my sister in the mirror maze

I picked her up trying to soothe her while finding our way out. I eventually made it out, but she was still bawling. I asked her if she wanted to go to the candy store next door. The second I said candy my sister's tears all magically disappeared. She took a half an hour deciding what candy she wanted. Then another twenty minutes was added because I had to talk her out of wanting to buy a huge gummy bear for 20 dollars. We walked to my mom's salon. After my mom was done we went to run some errands and I picked up some things I needed.


Saturday:

I went to one of my friends house and spent the night there. It was just fun to catch up because unlike me me my friend was very busy over the summer playing softball all over, so I didn't get to see her much. We ate a lot of junk food, and I made cookies. Then we spent the rest of the night bonding.

Sunday:

I woke up in the morning to a call from my mother. She suggested that we go to LA. This may seem weird to many people, but my mom is very spontaneous and loves to live in the moment, so I grew used to it. I would even say I have a similar personality in that way. Anyways, we drove down to LA. We like to drive down there at night since there is a lot less traffic and the LA lights are always so pretty. I stay awake by drinking lots of caffeine and jamming out to whatever music I'm playing.


Monday:

My mom and I spent this day to explore the LA area. We got up pretty early to go to the Santa Monica Pier. It was pretty. The only thing that was we went so early that not everything was open yet. Then we went to explore the city of Santa Monica. There was this really cool British shop there.

Santa Monica Pier ft cool bridge decorated as a rainbow in honor of the recent Supreme Court ruling 

Then we went down to Downtown LA to visit the Grammy Museum. The Grammy Museum is so sick! It's honestly really underrated, and I was very surprised that it wasn't hoarded with tourists. I think it was because it was in Downtown LA and most tourists go to Hollywood. It's a shame because it gives you a really good insight on the history of music and how the Grammy's started.
A list of the songwriters in the Songwriters Hall of Fame

There was this really cool Taylor Swift exhibit. It had some of the outfits that Taylor has worn in previous years. It also had some of her songwriting notebooks,guitars she's used in the past and things from her childhood. Personally I really like both Taylor Swift and her music, so it was really nice to see the exhibit. 
Here's some pictures from the Grammy Museum along with pictures I took while in LA
Taylor Swift's dresses and costumes at Grammy Events
Taylor Swift's everyday outfit





















Beyoncé's Grammy dress from 2015
Really cool 2Pac exhibit in the Grammy Museum

Beverly Hills sign ft cute random couple

The most adorable fish I've ever seen 

Today:

I would love to say I was productive, but if I did, I would be lying. The most productive thing I probably will do today is post this. I still need to clean my room because it's a total mess. I need to finish packing. Lots of "fun" things I need to do

On a positive note, MY BIRTHDAY IS ON THURSDAY!!!! If you can't tell by my excessive capitalization, I am very excited. I haven't seen too many of my friends this summer because everyone's always busy, so I'm excited to see them all at my birthday party. 
Me in 2 days


It's crazy to think that my journey to Switzerland begins on Sunday and that I will actually be in Switzerland in 8 days. It seems like just yesterday I had months to wait. People have been asking me constantly "Are you nervous?" and now I can honestly say I've had months to be nervous and think of every single possibility of what could go wrong, but I'm no longer nervous. I used those months to get every doubt in my mind out of my head. I am now fully ready to go on this adventure and see where it takes me.

I think I'm going to end on that note. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your night and have a great week. I'll post my next post when I have time. Maybe it'll be a classic May Monday. Maybe not. Who knows?

Until then....
Auf Wiedersehen (for non German speakers that means goodbye)
-May

No comments:

Post a Comment